The Housestaff Council was founded in July 2019 to represent Housestaff with regards to education, training, facilities and resources. The council works closely with the UF office of GME and GME Committee, UF School of Medicine and UF Health to promote the interests of the Housestaff at large. Furthermore, the council was created to serve as a forum for Housestaff to discuss concerns and appropriate funding for Gator Bites, social events and resident lounges (including food). Each training program with residents or fellows may have a representative on the Council. Housestaff are nominated in early July, after which elections are held among the Council to nominate the Executive Council.
The Executive Council for the 2022-2023 academic year is:
- Co-Chairs: Sara Hensley, MD (Surgery) and Lenexa Morais, MD (Emergency Medicine)
- Vice Chair, Wellness: Lekha Vemuru, MD (Family Medicine)
- Vice Chair, Diversity: Rebecca Schwartz , MD (Trauma/Acute Care Surgery Fellow)
- Vice Chair, Budget/Finance: Shammi Patel, DO (PM&R)
- Vice Chair, Hospital Relations: Joshua Thomas, MD (Internal Medicine)
- Vice Chairs, Technology: Michael Brownstein, MD (PM&R) and Rosalynn Conic, MD (PM&R)
- At large representatives: Wells Yang, MD (Radiology)
Council meetings are held once a month via Zoom and are open to all Housestaff.
The Council also releases a monthly newsletter, The Grumpy Gator.
Contact the Housestaff Council